Yesterday. Part one.
7 am- Two banana peels reside next to my sandals in between the seats. I’m struggling with the knob on the radio. I hate listening to people talk in the morning. They are discussing the end of the world and the preparation needed to survive the swine flu epidemic. And Rhianna. I’m thinking of cloned body parts, the ability to keep a closet full of one duplicated organ and narrowing down my back-stock choices.
9 am- I saw the sign… I haven’t heard this song in forever.
10 am- The muffin selection at this Caribou is weak. I used to be partial to chocolate chocolate chip. For over a year I was brought chocolate chip muffins on a weekly basis. The innocent misinterpretation was flattering, and I knew the source of these muffins didn’t usually have access to that necessary extra dose of chocolate batter. But there’s a difference. I pass on pastries all together and settle into a table for two by the front window with my abnormally hot chai. The computer is a mediocre plus one, but our routine is comfortable.
11:30 am- Phone rings. I drop my 5 mil. and rush outside. I can’t listen close enough. I teeter on the curb like a balance beam. I can’t stand still. I wobble one direction and then the other, my right hand holding my phone to my ear and my left arm outstretched to remain upright. I turn to retrace my route in the opposite direction. There are two black cats eating road kill remnants in the parking lot. I sit down, watching the ragged felines picking apart a life, as we dissect hers on the other end of the line.
Noon- I’m listening to him grunt. He doesn’t say much, but his grunts speak volumes. He’s unhappy loading the bikes into the back of his man-van and he’s more unhappy that ye ole me is supervising his every move. Now, now, sir, I wouldn’t be here supervising if you rode a bike once in a while. See how this could be avoided? You familiarize yourself with the two wheeled beast and I’ll back off. Until then, I won’t refrain from asking you not to place the metal buckle from the tie downs directly on a carbon frame. Roll your eyes all you want, I know from experience how much you can brake before that box slides into those Carbones and tears a hole in the side.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment