Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Minneapolis, MN (music; the everly brothers)

Upon getting hired, I crammed the essentials into my suitcase & parted ways with the rest of my belongings- a decision I never invested much thought into with exception of a few items. Yeah all of those tee shirts are up for grabs, take ‘em. Eh wait. Yeah, it’s still up for grabs, it’s just.. See this isn’t a reprint. This is an original. Were you a fan? Yeah, yeah, we all were. I get it, but did you have the sheets? The lunch box? Playing cards, huh? Weren’t those free from cereal boxes for a while? Well, here- this one’s probably a better fit for you. It’s similar. Take this one. No way, Weezer is just old enough to be hip again. See, New Kids on the Block is just, see, it’s.. you can’t recreate this. I know it’s a trend right now but this sort of t-shirt is an investment, not a momentary fad. See how it’s thread bare but has no holes? It needs care. It needs the sort of owner whose going to stick with it when horn rimmed glasses and beards go out of style and you don’t strike me as a commitment guy.

In town for the holidays, Ive been staying in the same apartment I used to live in, in the empty version of my room. I’m half expectant of my boxes to be dropped off at any moment. The dresser dusted off from storage will be refilled with the torn jeans I parted ways with. Paintings rehung where the empty nails still sit waiting. It hasn’t truly sunken in yet that it's all gone. An empty room, a suitcase, and me. Having mistakenly purchased 100 watt light bulbs, there is truly nowhere to hide. Fearing the truth catching up with me, and sunburn, I’ve been doing my best to stay away.

First day back I slept on a familiar couch. Day two, I caved and shared a bed. A pillow barrier dividing us as we both feigned sleep, awaiting uncomfortable confrontation. Day three, I went to Target. I walked longingly through home décor. I stood wide eyed in the camping department, looking at the miniature tent models. A few paces down, I did a double take in front of a hammock display. Freestanding, easy storage, with carrying case. Perfect. In brisk pace, I walked gleefully to the register. I began humming the Gillian’s Island theme song. I froze steps away from the checkout line- Gilligan and Skipper in mid-swing on their double decker hammocks.

A scene flashed to mind of an evening out at a local establishment. I found myself engaged in fulfilling conversation over choice beverages with a dashing young gentleman caller.

Flash to me standing in a doorway, attempting to explain a lone hammock. In an empty room. Under 100 watt lighting.

I bought an air mattress.

No comments: