Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dallas, TX (Lyle Lovett)

Somedays you're the bug and somedays you're the windshield. Though every so often, you're the gas station attendant stuck sitting in the sweltering heat for hours to have a single car pull up only for you to wipe those bugs off of the windshield while they glare at you and deny you a tip for your efforts. I haven't been that guy this week, I've been the bits of remaining cowpie on the underside of his boot.

My rant on Christmas music came back and bit me hard. I realized I had left my ipod in Tempe a few hours into my drive, leaving me with country versions of carols for the eighteen hour drive. It was someones way of attempting to brainwash me into enjoying Christmas songs- and I'd say it didn't work, but I think the rebuttle would result in my radio quitting all together, and I'd rather have Sinatra than silence.

A local shop planned a road ride for me in San Antonio. I asked for a mellow 40 to 50 miles, as I had driven straight from Tuscon and hadn't slept yet. As I left and caught them exchanging smirks and elbows to ribs. They were out to kill me. The route was hilly, though I'm a fan of attempting to rip my legs from my body on little sleep. Then the wind picked up. The route changed. They had dumped me into a makeshift cyclecross course. Adding countless bruises to my ensemble, I kept on. Weaving back and forth between dirt path and road shoulders I had plenty of time to consider why I wouldn't want to mess with Texas. Spit on, cursed at, and swerved at by drivers or face planting into their great American soil I emerged from the ride a true patriot. Red with fresh twig claw marks, drained white with pure defeat and exhaustion, blue bruises tattooing the trail map onto my arms & legs. I was truly an American.

(Lost; just rode down the cement slope of the underpass behind me)

No comments: