Friday, February 13, 2009

Austin, TX (music; Hold Steady)

I’m standing at the worn bar that lines the length of the room. The stained mahogany has lost its shine where elbows graze its edge and circular stains have integrated themselves into the wood grain. My forearms flat on the bar top, I lean over and call the bartender, grab some coasters from his stock on the far side of the counter, & order three whiskey’s while I listen to him call me Darlin’. I raise my right foot to rest it on the gold pole raised inches from the floor as he pours with heavy hand. It’s a warm evening. The door has been propped open and beads of sweat have formed on my face, my cheeks still glowing from an afternoon spent writing at café patios.

The city is preparing for South By Southwest. The room is echoing with musical banter, latest influences, and itinerary changes. Red heels cross the room and position in front of the juke box. Johnny Cash is replaced with The Hold Steady and the Minneapolis street names and vocals bring me immediately home. Looking around I don’t feel far from it. Austin has grown on me, but just as I’ve begun to familiarize myself with street names and city staples, it’s time to move on. I’m headed to Oklahoma today. I hear it’s windy there.

No comments: